Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Happy Birthday!

Today is my son's 16th birthday. Soon my oldest daughter will be 18.  She just graduated from high school.  Yikes.  Feels weird to think that soon I will have "adult" children.  Yet I look in the mirror and can't deny the signs those years have left on me.  Watching helplessly sometimes, I see my kids going through the same things I did.  I guess everyone has to go through the craziness in one way or another.   You can only hope that your kids manage it, and come out in one piece.

I've been reading "The Poet's Handbook", by  Judson Jerome. It's not exactly light reading, but I really want to know what I'm doing on a higher level than what I'm doing now.  I've been writing a lot more poetry lately, which is how my whole interest in writing started. It's one of those things I always just "did" without much thought to doing it for any reason other than the need.  There are publishers who won't even glance at a picture book in rhyme unless you are a "professional poet".  Technically I am, thankfully, having sold a whole whopping two poems for money.  (I've gotten other work published, but not for pay.)  So I feel a little like I've gone back to school. I sit with my book and a notebook, scribbling down notes and vocabulary fit for a Rhodes Scholar. (Did I even spell that right?)  There are so many people out there who call themselves poets but who really have no clue.  I don't want to be one of those. 

Meanwhile, I need to get back to my glamorous life: paying bills, getting the car washed, making sure the laundry gets done....fun fun fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment